Second-Grade Homeschool Curriculum and Lesson Plans
If you are preparing to homeschool your child in second grade, you are in for an exciting year of education! As you know, second graders are curious by nature and interested in learning how things work.
Time4Learning’s second-grade homeschool curriculum will help your child reach their learning objectives for the year. Our corresponding lesson plans will help you stay organized and on track throughout your homeschooling journey.
What to Look for in a Second-Grade Homeschool Curriculum
Most second graders are about six or seven years old, seeking independence as they explore the world around them but still need help with some tasks. If you’re new to homeschooling and learning how to homeschool second grade or simply looking for a new homeschool curriculum, it’s essential to keep these things in mind when choosing the right one.
- Does the second-grade curriculum make learning fun and keep children engaged?
- Is the material taught in a clear way using real-world examples?
- Does it include reporting tools that make tracking progress easy?
- Are there plenty of opportunities for children to reinforce skills?
- Do the activities promote problem-solving skills?
Time4Learning’s Second-Grade Math Curriculum and Lesson Plans build on the skills learned in first grade and will further your child’s knowledge and proficiency in mathematical skills such as:
- Using Zero as a Placeholder
- Estimating Sums and Differences
- Adding and Subtract Money
- Comparison of Horizontal and Vertical Lines
- Seasons and Temperatures
Language Arts Curriculum
Time4Learning’s Second-Grade Language Arts Curriculum and Lesson Plans build on what your child already knows and furthers their knowledge and understanding by introducing more advanced concepts in:
- Reading and Writing
- Spelling and Grammatical Rules
- Subject Matter Comprehension
Time4Learning’s second-grade science curriculum and lesson plans will build on the skills gained in earlier grades and challenge your child with progressively more complex material. While facts are important, an effective science curriculum will encourage students to observe, ask questions, and explore concepts for themselves. Topics covered include:
- Life Science (plants and animals and their habits and life cycles)
- Earth/Space Science (properties of suns, moons, planets, and stars)
- Physical Science (states of matter, electricity, and magnetism)
Social Studies Curriculum
Time4Learning’s Second-Grade Social Studies Curriculum and Lesson Plans build on what students learned in first grade and introduce knowledge about people and places that are significant to American history, among other topics.
Topics covered include:
- What humans must have to survive (needs vs wants)
- Their place in the world (basic geography skills)
- Their national identity (American holidays, landmarks, and symbols)
- Their community (what makes a community and the jobs that keep it operating)
Why Choose Time4Learning’s Second-Grade Homeschool Curriculum?
Our online second-grade homeschool curriculum teaches students through fun, interactive lessons and activities, printable worksheets, and more. Using a simple-to-follow format that builds on previous material, students build essential skills in math, language arts, and more.
Below are a few more reasons why parents use Time4Learning’s second-grade curriculum in their homeschool.
- Fun, interactive PreK-12 curriculum teaches math, language arts, and science
- Detailed second-grade lesson plans provide information on each lesson and activity
- Spelling lists and science supply lists enhance the online material
- Activity planners other tools help parents stay organized and plan for the year
- Automated grading and recordkeeping make it easy to track progress and create homeschool portfolios
Try Time4Learning Risk Free!
- PreK-12th Online Curriculum
- 24/7 Access to 3,500+ Lessons and Activities
- Automated Grading & Reporting
- Activity Planner for Easy Scheduling
- Start, Stop, or Pause Membership Anytime