Third-Grade Homeschool Curriculum and Lesson Plans
The third grade marks the halfway point in your child’s elementary education. By now, students should have a solid grasp on a number of concepts in math, language arts, science, and social studies. As they become more independent learners, they will begin to delve into more complex topics that will require analytical and critical-thinking skills.
Time4Learning’s third-grade homeschool curriculum will help your child reach their learning objectives for the year. Our corresponding lesson plans are designed to help your family stay on track and organized throughout your homeschooling journey.
What Do Third Graders Learn?
In third grade, students are expected to have a solid understanding and strong foundation in math, language arts, science, and social studies to begin learning more difficult concepts in all these subjects.
Third graders are expected to have math fact fluency in order to move on to complex problems. Reading comprehension skills are taken to new levels this year as students are now reading to learn.
What to Look for in a Third-Grade Homeschool Curriculum
Most third graders are about seven or eight years old. At this age, they are seeking independence as they explore the world around them but still require assistance with some tasks. If you’re new to homeschooling and learning how to homeschool third grade or simply looking for a new homeschool curriculum, it’s essential to keep these things in mind when choosing the right curriculum.
- Does the curriculum make learning fun and keep children engaged?
- Is the material taught in a clear way using real-world examples?
- Does it include reporting tools that make tracking progress easy?
- Are there plenty of opportunities for children to reinforce skills?
- Do the activities promote problem-solving skills?
Time4Learning’s Math Curriculum and Lesson Plans for Third Graders build on the skills learned in second grade and will further your child’s knowledge and proficiency in mathematical skills such as:
- Multiplication table
- Adding four-digit numbers
- Subtracting with regrouping
- Rounding to the nearest tens and hundreds
- Understanding two- and three-dimensional shapes
- Solving word problems that involve time, money, and measurement
Language Arts Curriculum
Time4Learning’s Third-Grade Language Arts Curriculum and Lesson Plans build on the skills students learned in second grade and will further develop knowledge and proficiency in:
- Comparing and contrasting information
- Using transition words when writing
- Proper punctuation and capitalization
- Idioms, prefixes, and suffixes
Social Studies Curriculum
Time4Learning’s Third-Grade Social Studies Curriculum and Lesson Plans build on the skills learned in second grade and introduces students to a number of people and places that are significant to American history. Additionally, new topics and concepts will further your child’s knowledge in the following:
- The world in spatial terms
- Exploration of the Americas
- Citizenship & government
Your third-grade science curriculum and lesson plans build on the skills gained in earlier grades and challenge your child with progressively more complex material. Students are encouraged to observe, ask questions, and explore concepts for themselves. Topics covered include:
- Changes in motion caused by forces (gravity, friction)
- Electricity and magnetism (conductors, insulators)
- Weather and climate
- Forms of energy (heat, light, sound)
- Ecology (food chains, ecosystems, balance of nature, adaptations)
Why Choose Time4Learning’s Third-Grade Homeschool Curriculum?
Our online third-grade curriculum teaches students through fun, interactive lessons and activities, printable worksheets, and more. With a simple-to-follow format that builds on previous material, students build math, language arts skills, and more.
Below are a few more reasons why parents use Time4Learning’s third-grade curriculum in their homeschool.
- Fun, interactive PreK-12 curriculum teaches math, language arts, science, and social studies
- Detailed third-grade lesson plans provide information on each lesson and activity
- Spelling lists and science supply lists enhance the online material
- Activity planners and other tools help parents stay organized and plan for the year
- Automated grading and recordkeeping make it easy for you to track progress and create homeschool portfolios
Try Time4Learning Risk Free!
- PreK-12th Online Curriculum
- 24/7 Access to 3,500+ Lessons and Activities
- Automated Grading & Reporting
- Activity Planner for Easy Scheduling
- Start, Stop, or Pause Membership Anytime