Eighth-Grade Homeschool Curriculum and Lesson Plans
Most students in eighth grade are 13-years-old or 14-years-old. Eighth graders are independent in their schoolwork, discover new interests, and gain a better understanding of themselves. They should be familiar with more complicated concepts, theories, and practices in their core subjects.
A typical course of study for eighth-grade homeschoolers includes:
- Language arts
- Social studies
- Health and safety
- Physical fitness program
Time4Learning’s eighth-grade homeschool curriculum will help your child reach their learning objectives for the year. Our corresponding lesson plans will help you stay on track throughout your homeschooling journey.
What to Look for in an Eighth-Grade Homeschool Curriculum
If you’re new to homeschooling and learning how to homeschool eighth grade or simply looking for a new homeschool curriculum, it’s essential to keep these things in mind when choosing the right middle-school curriculum.
- Does the curriculum help prepare students for high school courses?
- Are students able to work at their own pace and on their schedule?
- Variety of science and social studies courses to choose from, with the option to change courses anytime
- Does it provide a variety of learning opportunities such as instructional videos, virtual labs, and interactive lessons?
- Are there recordkeeping tools to help parents keep track of progress?
Time4Learning’s Eighth-Grade Math Curriculum and Lesson Plans build on the skills learned in seventh grade and will further your child’s knowledge in:
- Problem-solving using properties of parallelism, perpendicularity, and symmetry
- Translating word expressions and equations into algebraic expressions and equations
- Substituting rational numbers into expressions with exponents and radicals
- The Pythagorean theorem to solve real-world problems
- Interpreting circle, line, bar, histogram, stem-and-leaf, and box-and-whisker graphs
- Problem-solving with rational numbers
Language Arts Curriculum
Time4Learning’s Eighth-Grade Language Arts Curriculum and Lesson Plans build on the skills learned in seventh grade and will further your child’s knowledge in:
- Synonyms, antonyms, idioms, homophones
- Comprehension skills
- Identifying vocabulary words in a text and giving their meaning
- Understanding, comparing, and contrasting ideas and information
- Cover letters, poems, biography, position papers, and more
Social Studies Curriculum
Our Eighth-Grade Social Studies Curriculum and Lesson Plans focus on the history of the United States, from exploration and colonization to the late 19th century. Some of the topics for eighth-grade social studies include:
- The Bill of Rights
- State and local history
- American expansion, immigration, and slavery
- The American Civil War and reconstruction
- Civil rights expansion and social movements
- Industrialization and the Great Depression
- Inventions and advancements in communications and transportation
Time4Learning believes that science should be a never-ending process of discovery, interpretation, and evaluation. There is not a designated course of study for eighth-grade science, so homeschool families have a lot of flexibility with what to focus on. Time4Learning offers three primary science courses at the middle school level:
Why Choose Time4Learning’s Eighth-Grade Homeschool Curriculum?
Our online eighth-grade homeschool curriculum teaches students through fun, interactive lessons and activities, printable worksheets, and more. With a simple-to-follow format that builds on previous material, students build math, language arts skills, and more.
Below are a few more reasons why parents use Time4Learning’s eighth-grade curriculum in their homeschool.
- Our fun, interactive pre-K-12 curriculum teaches math, language arts, social studies, and science
- Detailed lesson plans provide information on each lesson and activity
- Spelling lists and science supply lists enhance the online material
- Activity planners and other tools help parents stay organized and plan for the year
- Automated grading and recordkeeping make it easy for you to track progress and create homeschool portfolios
Try Time4Learning Risk Free!
- PreK-12th Online Curriculum
- 24/7 Access to 3,500+ Lessons and Activities
- Automated Grading & Reporting
- Activity Planner for Easy Scheduling
- Start, Stop, or Pause Membership Anytime