10th Grade Online Curriculum
When you customize a 10th grade curriculum to fit your child’s needs in their core courses, electives, and other chosen interests, you make learning more interesting and exciting. That’s why many parents opt for an online 10th grade homeschool curriculum. It’s flexible, interactive and allows parents to create a curriculum that fits their student’s needs. It also provides an option that many highschoolers love — learning on their computers.
If you want to know what your 10th grader should learn, how to homeschool a tenth grader, and why Time4Learning is the choice for many new and veteran homeschoolers, please review the following information.
- What Do Tenth Graders Learn?
- 10th Grade Curriculum Overview
- 10th Grade Math Curriculum
- 10th Grade Language Arts Curriculum
- 10th Grade Social Studies Curriculum
- 10th Grade Science Curriculum
- How to Homeschool a Tenth Grade
- Why Choose Time4Learning Tenth Grade Homeschool Curriculum?
- FAQs About Homeschooling Tenth Grade
What do Tenth Graders Learn?
10th grade students should not only focus on their core subjects such as language arts, chemistry, world history, and geometry, they should also branch off into electives and other topics of interest that will keep them motivated and learning.
The following are some of the concepts and skills a 10th grade curriculum should focus on:
- Building and refining compound and complex sentences.
- Writing essays to compare the presentation of ideas across genres.
- Expressing the arrangement of electrons of atoms using electron configurations.
- Reading and drawing structural formulas of organic compounds.
- Analyzing the short- and long-term causes of the collapse of the Roman Empire.
- Examining the increasing influence of renewable energy sources.
- Completing the steps to prove the slope criteria for parallel and perpendicular lines using coordinate geometry.
- Classifying a 3-D figure and identifying the characteristics (base, edge, etc.).
The Time4Learning 10th grade scope and sequence and 10th grade lesson plans pages can help you gain an understanding of what a 10th grade curriculum should include.
10th Grade Curriculum Overview
A typical course of study for 10th grade usually includes language arts, chemistry, geometry, and world history. But it shouldn’t be limited to those core 10th grade subjects. Depending on your state’s laws, there may be some additional courses that you’re required to cover. As homeschoolers, you can easily choose a foreign language, physical education, health, art and more, depending on your child’s interests.
A well-rounded 10th grade education will help your student:
- Interpret figurative language to determine the meanings of words and phrases.
- Infer meaning and spelling by analyzing word parts and context.
- Use a balanced equation to write mole ratios correctly to use in stoichiometry problems.
- Collect data with accuracy and precision, and organize the data while doing repeated trials in an experiment about enthalpy and entropy.
- Construct or justify the construction of isosceles and equilateral triangles.
- Calculate the volumes of composite figures, including those that model real-world objects.
- Explain the working and living conditions in industrial societies of the 1800s.
- Identify social and cultural changes that occurred in the early 1900s.
Before additional courses, research the homeschool requirements in your state to ensure your curriculum of preference aligns with what is required.
10th Grade Math Curriculum
Typically, 10th grade math students study Geometry. However, there are other alternatives based on your child’s academic performance. Below is a list of the math courses we offer at the high school level:
10th Grade Language Arts Curriculum
The tenth grade language arts curriculum explores a diverse selection of world literature including poetry, short stories, fiction, drama and more. It builds upon critical thinking and writing skills. Additional exercises that our 10th grade curriculum practices include:
- Analyzing idea development in an essay
- Writing a research-based informative essay about the benefits of humor
- Recognizing rhetorical techniques in a speech
- Comparing arguments from diverse perspectives
10th Grade Social Studies Curriculum
For 10th grade social studies, we recommend the Survey of World History curriculum. However, parents have the freedom to choose from the options below.
10th Grade Science Curriculum
For science, we usually recommend the chemistry curriculum to 10th graders. However, depending on your state’s education laws and your child’s interest, parents can choose a different science course for their high schooler. Time4Learning offers:
High School ElectivesHigh school education programs typically give students the opportunity to take various electives each year. Time4Learning’s high school curriculum is no different. With 14 elective courses available, students have a wide-range of subjects and topics they can choose from. Those include:
How to Homeschool a Tenth Grader
Once you’ve chosen your preferred 10th grade curriculum, it will be time to start homeschooling. But you’ll probably have many questions before you begin, especially if you’ve never homeschooled before. For your convenience, we put together information on:
- How to get started
- How to create a schedule and plan our lessons
- Starter reading book list
- Tips, ideas and more!