9th Grade Science Curriculum
9th grade science begins a student’s introduction to advanced courses, laying a necessary foundation for more complex studies. Beyond preparing students for higher-level courses, however, a 9th grade science curriculum explores important information for students.
Most commonly, 9th graders usually focus on biology; however the beauty of homeschooling is parents can choose what course they want their freshmen to begin with. These can include chemistry or physics. Learn more about the different sciences you can teach your 9th grader below:
What Do You Teach in Science in 9th Grade?
When students enter the ninth grade, they have most likely already studied general life and physical science. However, depending on a student’s academic level, parents may prefer to delay physical science until they’re in ninth grade.
If students are following a typical format for their high school science courses, though, a 9th grader will usually follow a biology curriculum. While the order and level of detail for these chapters is entirely dependent on your choice of curriculum, these are the aspects to look for in a complete grade 9 science curriculum.
- Experience with science practices such as forming hypotheses.
- Learning how to complete lab reports.
- Learn about the structure of a cell and cellular reproduction.
- Basics of DNA and replication
- Blood typing
- Classification of bacteria, viruses, plants, and animals.
Science Objectives for Ninth Grade
A list of goals will help closely align your selected program with your desires for the year, as well as narrow down various choices. Once you select your ideal 9th grade science curriculum, make sure to set some course objectives for your students.
Consider these objectives for your student’s science studies:
- Successfully use the inquiry process to solve problems.
- Write complete lab reports.
- Proper use of a microscope.
- Understands how to read microscopic slides.
- Safely designs, conducts and revises experiments.
- Recognizes the scientific difference between living and nonliving things.
- Draw conclusions from a variety of sources and based on experimental evidence, and historical observations.
- Can explain the purposes of organelles within a cell.
Why Choose Time4Learning Ninth Grade Science Homeschool Curriculum
High school science can be daunting for parents since it requires an advanced level of knowledge and complex lessons. In 9th grade, it is important for students to demonstrate a strong understanding of scientific facts, concepts, theories, principles and models.
In addition to covering all the standard science topics, Time4Learning’s science curriculum for 9th grade helps students gain confidence and parents stay organized.
Below are some reasons why many families choose Time4Learning as their 9th grade science curriculum!
|As a Full Curriculum
||As a Supplement
Additional 9th Grade Homeschool Resources
Return to the 9th Grade Curriculum Overview.
Or explore the our other ninth grade resources: