8th Grade Social Studies & History Curriculum
8th grade social studies usually focuses on the history of the United States, from exploration and colonization to the late 19th century. Time4Learning auto-assigns U.S. history to 8th graders, however, parents have the ability to choose between these social studies courses for middle schoolers: ancient history; world history; civics, government and economics; world cultures and geography or U.S. history.
Learn more on what you should teach, what to include as part of your social studies objectives and how Time4Learning’s 8th grade social studies curriculum can work for you.
What Do You Teach in 8th Grade Social Studies?
Some of the topics for eighth grade social studies should include:
- Creation and ratification of the constitution and Bill of Rights
- State and local history
- American expansion, immigration and slavery
- The American Civil War and reconstruction
- Civil rights expansion and social movements
- Industrialization and the Great Depression
- Inventions and advancements in communications and transportation
- Contributions of American leaders to the war.
By default our program auto-assigns the U.S. history curriculum to 8th graders. However, parents have the ability to change it.
Learn more about Time4Learning’s eighth grade social studies curriculum by checking out the 8th grade social studies scope and sequence and the 8th grade social studies lesson plans.
Social Studies Objectives for Eighth Grade
By the end of the year, your child should have a deep understanding of civic issues such as cultural, ethnic and linguistic diversity, democratic values and more. Some of the objectives you can set include:
- Demonstrate understanding of the political, economic, and social characteristics of 13 colonies.
- Accurately explain causes and effects of the Great Depression
- Display knowledge about World War II
- Explain the impact of inventions on American culture
- Describe the impact of social movements on culture and legislation
Why Choose Time4Learning Eighth Grade Social Studies Homeschool Curriculum
Time4Learning helps your child meet important objectives and build a number of important skills, including civic competence, critical thinking, how to become active and engaged participants in public life and more.
Whether you use the 8th grade social studies lessons as a full curriculum or as a supplement, the interactive, student-paced approach will help your child gain confidence and a thorough understanding of important events, people, concepts, and more.
Below are some additional benefits of Time4Learning’s 8th grade social studies curriculum:
|As a Full Curriculum
||As a Supplement